Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Rebecca's Media Example - PETA

PETA is known for their extreme acts in advocacy for animals' rights. Throwing fake blood on people who wear fur and dressing up as monkeys in a cage to protest testing of animals are just a couple. This PETA ad may be called extreme. These people are sexy because they don't wear fur, and being naked and cold is better than being warmed by a fur coat. I'm not exactly sure what the ad is trying to illustrate, except that these individuals apparently would rather go naked than wear fur. While the people in the ad are definitely attractive, I don't know that this ad would make people not want to wear fur. There's no emotional tug on the heart, as there may be if this ad pictured hurt and dying animals' fur being taken from them. The naked males and females do draw the eye and grab attention, if nothing else, which at least may get people to read the words instead of immediately rolling their eyes and moving past the ad thinking, "here PETA goes again..." like I do every time I'm handed a pamphlet at school persuading me not to eat meat. The ad is interesting, I'll give it that.

No comments:

Post a Comment